Effective as of January 1, 2022, Local Law 126 of 2021 (Intro No. 2261-A) will require owners of parking structures located within Community Districts 1 through 7 in Manhattan to hire a NYS licensed and registered professional engineer to inspect the structure at least once every six years and file a report with the Department of Buildings documenting the results of the inspection that include:
- Buildings, or portions of a building, used for parking or storing motor vehicles, including space inside or under a building
- Open parking garages and enclosed parking garages as defined in the NYC Building Code
The following structures will not be required to comply with the new inspection requirements:
- autobody and automotive repair shops, automotive showrooms, and automotive service stations
- garages with occupancy of fewer than three cars
- unenclosed, unattached outdoor parking lots
- private garages serving one- and two-family homes.
DOB will adopt rules specifying the inspection cycles, report filing fees, and civil penalties related to the new inspection requirements.
Please do not hesitate to reach out to The Falcon Group regarding this information and to schedule an inspection.