Category Balconies, Building Construction, Deck, Engineering, Structural
April 24, 2023
With more than 60 million decks in the U.S., it is estimated that half (30 million) are past their useful life and need to be replaced or repaired. With nice weather right around the corner, families and friends will be gathering and looking to get outdoors and make use of their space.
Did you know.....
- Building Codes now require that lateral load connectors be incorporated into your deck replacement project. Interior or invasive inspections will now be required to confirm interior framing conditions so that the appropriate lateral load connection can be designed for your building. Having signed and sealed plans prepared by a professional is a requirement in multifamily communities.
- Repairs to damaged framing members and deck boards DO NOT extend the useful life of your deck or balcony.
- All preservative treated framing has a useful life of approximately 20-25 years.
- Replacement of just the deck boards will not extend the useful life.
- Signs of deterioration in deck boards and framing members is an indication that the entire deck or balcony is reaching the end of its service life.
- If your engineer/architect recommends replacing the decks/balconies, DO NOT attempt to make limited repairs in an attempt to extend the service life. The repairs may address any immediate safety issues, but they WILL NOT extend the useful life of the decks or balconies beyond 20-25 years of service life.
- With recent price increases in preservative treated lumber, the cost for composite decking and railing systems has become much more competitive. Consider asking your contractor to provide alternate pricing for composite deck boards, skirt boards, and railings as this may only be a minor cost increase over preservative treated lumber and comes with the added benefit of lower future maintenance which will save owners money of the service life of the deck or balcony.
Please do not hesitate to reach out to The Falcon Group to have our professionals come to your property and have your decks or balconies inspected/replaced.
Tags Architecture, Balconies, Decks, Engineering, Inspections, Safety