Mr. John McDonald, P.E., Sr. Structural Engineer within The Falcon Group, is a NYC Department of Buildings Qualified Parking Structure Inspector (QPSI) and able to assist with this ordinance.
With Manhattan Community Districts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 Reports Due by end of this year (December 31, 2023), Local Law 126 of 2021 (Intro No. 2261-A) requires owners of parking structures to hire a New York State licensed and registered professional engineer to inspect the structure and file a report with the Department of Buildings documenting the results of the inspection. Structures requiring inspection include:
• Buildings, or portions of a building, used for parking or storing motor vehicles, including space inside or under a building
• Open parking garages and enclosed parking garages as defined in the NYC Building Code
*NOTE* The investigation is a timely process so you should be moving forward with the inspections and potential repairs immediately to avoid violations/fines and/or shutdowns if there are unsafe conditions to be addressed. Failing to address the inspection, could result in unsafe filings, significant penalties and possible closures of garage facilities.
The following structures are not required to comply with the new inspection requirements:
- autobody and automotive repair shops, automotive showrooms, and automotive service stations
- garages with occupancy of fewer than three cars
- unenclosed, unattached outdoor parking lots
- private garages serving one and two-family homes.
DOB has adopted rules specifying the inspection cycles, report filing fees, and civil penalties related to the new inspection requirements.
Please do not hesitate to reach out to The Falcon Group regarding this information and to schedule an inspection.