40/50 Recertification/Certification for Miami-Dade and Broward County
Is your building approaching it's 40 year anniversary? Are you aware that there may be county requirements that, as a building owner you may need to comply with known as a 40 Year Certification?
These requirements are for a "40 year Recertification/Certification Inspection" if the building is 40 year's or older and located in Broward County and Miami-Dade County. This inspection/certification will be enforced every 10 years after the 40 year anniversary.
Even if you have no yet received a "Notice of Required Inspection" by the code compliance section of your county or city, it is the property owner's responsibility to acquire the initial 40/50-year (re)certification and to recertify their building every 10 years thereafter. Because of this, the inspections must be done by or under the supervision of a qualified, Professional Engineer or Architect.
For Miami-Dade County, all buildings that are larger than 2,500 sq. ft. and are non-single family homes need to comply.
Exemptions for Miami Dade:
- Single Family Homes
- Buildings with an occupant load of ten (10) or less and 2,000 sq. ft. or less
For Broward County, all buildings larger than 3,500 sq.ft.
Exemptions for Broward County:
- One (single family) and Two (duplex) Family Dwellings
- Schools under the jurisdiction of the B.C. school board
- All buildings with an area of 3,500 sq. ft. or less
- U.S. Government, State of Florida buildings
- Buildings built on an Indian Reservation
What does the 40 Year Certification entail?
The Certification is a combination of both the structural integrity and the electrical safety of the building.
What does this mean for the building owner?
1. Once the Notice is received, a Florida Registered Architect or Engineer MUST inspect the property and submit a sealed Building Safety Inspection Certification Form to the City within 90 days. The experts will be looking at all applicable components to the: building including: foundation, roofing system, masonry bearing walls, steel framing system, floor and roof systems, concrete framing systems, windows, wood framing, loading, electric service, branch circuits, conduit raceways, & emergency lighting;
2. The submittal must include the structural package, the electrical package, and a permit application. A form must be completed by a licensed professional and must include the identification of "Repairs Required" or "No Repairs Needed"; The report must be dropped off at the City with a $200.00 payment (please note: reports must be hand delivered, mailed in reports are not accepted);
3. If the building is deemed safe, the association will not be required to have another Building Safety Inspection for ten years. If the report indicates there are structural or electrical deficiencies, the Owner will have 180 days to obtain the necessary permits and complete the identified repairs;
4. If the Owner fails to submit the required recertification form, a Notice of Violation and a Notice of Hearing will be issued. Penalties may ensue if the building owner is not making efforts to remediate the violations in a timely manner.
5. Extensions can be granted and approved, however these are on a case-by-case basis. The only exemption from the 40 year Building Safety Program would be a complete demolition and rebuild within the 40 year time period, interior renovations/upgrades do not make a building exempt. The city's review is solely based on the engineers/architect's report; the engineer/architect's seal certifies the integrity of the report and any necessary repairs stated by the Engineer/Architect will be required by the city.
How Falcon can help!
We provide both Structural and Electrical inspection expertise in-house with licensed engineers, architects and inspectors. Our professionals are able to perform site visits, report preparation, provide repair recommendations, develop repair plans and specifications. Falcon can also assist with the bidding process for the repair work along with the construction oversight to ensure all repairs are being done with all recommended requirements enforced. We provide a list of repairs (if needed) included in the report for no additional fee.
Our services are provided in South Florida Cities such as North Miami Beach, Miami Dade and Broward Counties, Fort Lauderdale, Coconut Creek, Cooper City, Coral Springs, Dania Beach, Davie, Hallandale Beach, Hillsboro Beach, North Lauderdale, Plantation, Pompano Beach, Sunrise, West Park, Miami, Pembroke Pines, Miramar, Hollywood, Tamarac, Weston, Lauderhill, Deerfield Beach, Hallandale, Oakland Park, North Miami, Hialeah, Homestead, Boca Raton, Cooper City, North Lauderdale, Parkland, Aventura, Carol City, Coconut Grove, North Miami Beach, Miami Dade and Broward Counties, etc
For more information regarding the requirements of BROWARD for 40 Year Recertification Inspections please visit: